Clearly in the news: South West Business Insider - Is it time to abandon the search for brand ‘purpose’?

19 July 2021 | 2 min read | News
Clearly Team

[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”4.6.5″ _module_preset=”default”][et_pb_row _builder_version=”4.6.5″ _module_preset=”default”][et_pb_column _builder_version=”4.6.5″ _module_preset=”default” type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”4.6.5″ _module_preset=”default” hover_enabled=”0″ sticky_enabled=”0″]

In the July/August edition of South West Business Insider, Clearly MD Paul MacKenzie-Cummins talks about how ‘brand purpose’ has come to dominate organisational thinking, and why some businesses need to ditch the notion of establishing and promoting what that purpose is… if ‘it’ even exists at all.

Is it time to abandon the search for brand ‘purpose’?

Open the pages of pretty much most business magazines and you will invariably find a plethora of references to the term ‘brand purpose’. Its rise to the top of the organisational agenda over the last 12 months has been nothing short of meteoric. But what does ‘brand purpose’ mean? Does your business need to have one, and does it really drive sales?

Confusion among senior leaders

In a study conducted by Clearly, which saw over 500 CEOs, Managing Directors and Senior Executives take part, when asked what is meant by ‘brand purpose’, just 43 per cent understood that it refers to what businesses have set out to achieve for the good of the environment and society. It is raison d’étre beyond simply making money. The remaining 57 per cent had very different notions as to its meaning.

Indeed, one in four (25 per cent) believed it refers to how the business makes money, while 21 per cent determined it to be what product or service the organisation provides. 11 per cent admitted to not having a clue. Well, at least they are honest.

Continue reading on the South West Business Insider website. Click here to go straight to the article.